Friday, March 28, 2008

Lions and tigers and bears

How I long for the days when all I worried about was running into another mouse at school. That was a sweet time, an innocent time, when I was startled by a small rodent in the recycling bin, or came across some droppings in the corner underneath a notebook.

We recently had the basement of our building tested for radon. A few tests came out with readings above 4. "Oh, that kinda stinks," you might say, "but when would you or your students be in the basement anyway?"

Oh, every day, from at least 8:45 to 3:30, longer for teachers, because that's where our "learning community" is housed.

"Well, at least you've only been there for a year and a half."

True, but the one other school with high readings? Not only did I teach there for 8 years, I attended the school as a child. Where was the cafeteria way back when? In the basement.

The up side to all this is that I am now telling myself that radon killed the hermit crabs in November, and not my ineptitude at caring for pets. I should probably clean out the tank...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ladee, we tole u, we takin care of dem rats and mices and shit. My cousin he got a business, he put likea plassic pipe and a li'l fan in there, for like $4,000 and poof, u gots no worries, eh?

--KS-13, and its wholly-owned subsidiary, "Radon Remidiation Consultants, LLC"