Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Snow day???

Great, I spent 20 minutes yesterday afternoon explaining the difference between a hexagon and an octagon to my friend's first grader and used the example of an octopus to illustrate "8", and now this:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080303/sc_afp/sciencebritainanimalhexapusoffbeat

I was going to bitch about work, but it's too depressing. Our district's structure is being dismantled and morale is terrible, especially after the emails the staff received about not talking to each other during playground duty, and "gossiping, disrespect and failure to follow directives must cease immediately". This is funny, in a way, because for the most part, teachers are rule- following sheep. Have you ever read old accounts about the duties of teachers from the late 1800's, duties which included cleaning out the fireplace and sweeping the floors? Guess what almost all of us do 4 afternoons out of 5? Sweep out floors, have students bring the recycling to a central location, dust and occasionally spot mop. Glad I got that second degree.*

*And I mean no disrepect to people who have cleaning jobs-work is work, but do you want me to prepare instructional materials for my students at 68K a year, or sweep? 'Cause I'm not staying past 6 to do both.

** I guess I did bitch about work. I love my students, though.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. A teacher may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A teacher must obey orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A teacher must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

--iTaupey, of Westphalia

Anonymous said...

Yo Ladee, city-aye LARGE? You want maebee be a Sugar Mama to a sexy papi?

--Manny

Anonymous said...

STFU Manny. Even dem skinny peanut hoes down on the stroll by the Park are outta your sorry ass league.

--KS-13

Anonymous said...

Not so fast, KS-13. Does Manny do windows and yardwork?

Anonymous said...

*ROFLMAO* Ladee, Manny doan even go down DSS to collect, he sen his baby momma say he' sick and shit. Manny so lazy, he stole a IV pole from the clinic and try hookin' up a 40 with a hose so he doan hafta lift the bottle.

--KS-13

Anonymous said...

Oh, now it's ON chulo, I gonna cut you man.

--Manny

Anonymous said...

If people knew why I chuckle to myself during the day...