Monday, January 28, 2008

Back to the Street for a Lesson

Scene: Urban elementary school, cafagymatorium

Rehearsal for Rosa Parks/bus boycott reenactment

45 grade schoolers, KS and first grade teacher

FGT: Do you know what's interesting that I didn't know? One of the arresting officers was Rosa Parks nephew.

KS: (blank stare, thinking: no, you are not going to say what I think you are going to say)

FGT: I think I read it in one of the books. The officer called her "Auntie".

KS stares unblinkingly for a full minute, then says very, very slowly...
"I believe that term was used in a manner akin to 'boy'-a replacement for Mrs., Miss or any other title of respect usually reserved for a white woman."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now, boys and girls, today we will learn the word "conflate."

After Rosa Parks was arrested, the blacks tried to boycott buses. One white bus driver stopped to let off a lone black man in a black neighborhood. Looking in his rear view mirror, he saw an old black woman with a cane rushing towards the bus. He opened the door and said, "You don't have to rush auntie. I'll wait for you." The woman replied, "In the first place, I ain't your auntie. In the second place, I ain't rushing to get on your bus. I'm jus' trying to catch up with that nigger who just got off, so I can hit him with this here stick."

http://www.watson.org/~lisa/blackhistory/civilrights-55-65/montbus.html

Anonymous said...

That "ni**er" was a man, so he probably deserved it. You go, Woman.