Thursday, February 7, 2008

Stuck Up American Bitch

I guess I've always been sort of a food snob. My dad's a chef and my mom is an excellent cook. My pediatrician once asked me what my favorite food was when I was 5 or 6, and was quite taken aback when I responded with broccoli quiche. Even though we were poor for quite a few years when my siblings and I were children, when my mom made macaroni and cheese with velveeta, she still started with a buerre blanc and added a pinch of dill before serving. And when my son was a toddler and we were on food stamps for a few months, I somehow managed to add freshly ground black pepper to the Ramen noodles.

Which brings me to chain restaurants. I secretly loathe them, but go along with family and friends for the social aspect of dining out. My son and I ate at Chili's last night, and I thought I would branch out from my ususal chicken tacos (no cheese or sour cream-not due to snobbery, but rather for the safety of family and friends) to chili and a salad. Holy crap. If I wanted a plate of white iceberg and a bowl of upchucked dogfood, I would go visit Great Aunt Matilda. Granted, I probably haven't noticed the poor food quality there in the past because I'm usually blind drunk by the time the entree arrives, but due to the company I was keeping, I was stone cold sober when the goo and cabbage stalks arrived.

Lesson learned: Drink more. A LOT more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, u just gotta swallow. The food. If possible, try Ruby Tuesdays. Still a chain, but the menu/concept is a lot better.

Better yet, find a nondescript Italian place in a run down strip mall. Good odds the food is just fine and cheap too.

You're right tho--excess alcohol kills taste buds. I proved I was *not* blind drunk recently by reciting the various "notes" of the wines served at dinner to my food snobby friends. I really was "just tired."

--T

Anonymous said...

I so miss red wine-a cabernet with pepper crusted filet mignon, shiraz with venison in a mushroom reduction....the tannins or sulphites in red make me feel like crap the next morning, even after one glass, but boy, the warm glow while it's going down...