Thursday, October 11, 2007

I'll have the...cyanide

After much emailing, calling, and baby sitter bribing on the "girls'" part, we finally found a night to meet for dinner. Someone suggested a chain restaurant new to the area and a few blocks from my house. (Think large state and rodeo.) Not exactly my cup of tea, but after all the wrangling everyone went through, I was happy to see any of them, anywhere.

Three of us made typical small talk in the lobby ("You shouldn't have to swallow after you finish your undergraduate degree") while waiting for Notorious Late KLJ, when I was distracted by a quick motion in the corner of the foyer. Sure enough, a small black form scurried from one end of the benches to the other.

Rats, we had to go to another restaurant.

Another teacher in my school has relatives that live in my neighborhood. One of her nephews snuck (sneaked, snake, snuck) outside for a smoke and clandestine phone call to a forbidden girlfriend when a rat (drum roll) FELL FROM THE SKY and landed at his feet. The rat was still alive, writhing in pain. Evidently, a hawk had dropped it.

Gotta go, time for breakfast.

No comments: