Monday, April 7, 2008

Mr. Bagel Grid Man

Friday morning, bagel shop, and all I want is a large coffee. Great, only one guy in front of me! I'll make it to work early.

The man is in his forties, short and balding, and he is bouncing a bit from foot to foot with a paper in his hand.

"...oh, wait, guys, I'm so sorry. Those were the alternates. Here-here's the order."
Alternates? I can imagine this guy during the off season playing Fantasy Bagel.
He runs a finger down what I now see to be a grid with the names of all the bagels listed.
"Three sesame-but in a separate bag. Two multi-grain, four honey wheat..."
So I wonder, why put the sesame in a separate bag? The sticky cinnamon ones, I would understand, but sesame?
"...three poppy seed, and three egg."
The cashier says, "For a dollar, I can give you a dozen and a half. Would you like three more?"
The man looks at his grid, looks at the cashier, and says, "I'd have to make a phone call."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

(a) "fantasy bagel" caused me to eject coffee nasally;

(2) Local man found bleeding and moaning in bagel shop parking lot--yet he was not robbed. Tune in at 11:00 to find out the strange location of an "everything" bagel and the efforts by police using 'the jaws of life' to extract it. Only on Sexy Action News at 11!